Four-year old Program
We provide a government funded kindergarten program that follows the National Quality Framework and is delivered by registered Early Childhood Teachers and qualified Educators. We are currently rated “Meeting” under the National Quality Standards.
Eligible children must have turned four years of age by April 30th of the year they are to attend.
Families of children who are turning 4 between January 1 and April 30 have a choice about whether their child will commence school in the year they turn five, or the following year. Educators are required by the Department of Education to discuss with families their child’s readiness for starting kinder and school and to inform them of their choice as to when their child commences kindergarten and school.
The kindergarten curriculum is a play based curriculum that strongly values the importance of children’s play in developing their social identity, communication skills, how they view themselves and the world around them and supports the way in which young children learn. We have an emphasis on outdoor and nature play throughout the program which provides children with strong connections to nature and the environment.
The curriculum follows the children’s emerging interests, the teachers intentional teaching and knowledge of child development and the families and community’s interests, beliefs and values. Literacy, numeracy, science, music, art, sensory play, are all promoted throughout the program.
- Children must turn four years old by 30 April in their year of attendance.
- Priority of places in four-year old group will always be given to eligible children in accordance with our Human Services Funding Agreement and in line with the Department’s Priority for Allocating Places Policy.
|How to apply|
- Applications open 1st May in the year prior to attending. All 4 year old applications are managed by the City of Kingston under the “Central Enrolment Scheme“.
- Complete the online enrolment form and submit to the City of Kingston. At the time of submitting an application, a non-refundable fee is required to be paid. There is no charge for Health Care/Pension Card Holders.
- For each child who gains a place, a letter of offer will be sent by Chelsea Kindergarten the year prior to the child starting kindergarten.
- There are three allocation rounds, and parents who wish to accept the place must return the letter of offer to the kinder by the due date advised on the form. Round 1 offers are early July, Round 2 offers are late July and Round 3 offers are mid-August (specific dates vary per year but are available on Council website). Applications received by Council after Round 3 offers will be assessed on a case-by-case bases depending on enrolment capacity.