Four-year old Program
We provide a government funded kindergarten program that follows the National Quality Framework and is delivered by registered Early Childhood Teachers and qualified Educators. We are currently rated “Meeting” under the National Quality Standards.
Eligible children must have turned four years of age by April 30th of the year they are to attend.
Families of children who are turning 4 between January 1 and April 30 have a choice about whether their child will commence school in the year they turn five, or the following year. Educators are required by the Department of Education to discuss with families their child’s readiness for starting kinder and school and to inform them of their choice as to when their child commences kindergarten and school.
The kindergarten curriculum is a play based curriculum that strongly values the importance of children’s play in developing their social identity, communication skills, how they view themselves and the world around them and supports the way in which young children learn. We have an emphasis on outdoor and nature play throughout the program which provides children with strong connections to nature and the environment.
The curriculum follows the children’s emerging interests, the teachers intentional teaching and knowledge of child development and the families and community’s interests, beliefs and values. Literacy, numeracy, science, music, art, sensory play, are all promoted throughout the program.
- Children must turn four years old by 30 April in their year of attendance.
- Priority of places in four-year old group will always be given to eligible children in accordance with our Human Services Funding Agreement and in line with the Department’s Priority for Allocating Places Policy.
- All children are entitled to two years of funded kindergarten, and as such there are very strict qualifications that must be met to receive an additional year of funded 4-year-old kindergarten. We welcome you to arrange a discussion with the 3-year-old Teacher to discuss your child’s readiness for kindergarten.
|How to apply|
Registration through the City of Kingston Central Registration Scheme will be accepted 1 May the year prior to the child being eligible for funded kindergarten. A Registration Form must be completed and received by the Kindergarten Central Registration Officer either online or in person at a City of Kingston Customer Service Centre. At the time of submitting an application, a non-refundable fee is required to be paid. There is no charge for Concession card holders.
Parents and guardians must provide the following documentation when submitting a Registration Form to demonstrate:
- Proof of the child’s date of birth (E.g. copy of birth certificate, birth extract, or a copy of the Child’s Health Record accompanied by a Statutory Declaration verifying your child’s date of birth to be true and correct)
- Current proof of child’s residential address (E.g. copy of parent/guardian’s license, rates notice or amenities bill [issued within the last three months] that includes the parent/guardian’s name and address).
And where required or requested provide the following documentation:
- Proof of registered child or sibling’s prior connection to the service (E.g. acceptance or confirmation letter from the kindergarten, receipt for fees paid or a graduation certificate, statutory declaration);
- Copy of a valid concession card (E.g. Health Care Card or Pension) or visa; and
- Current proof of working, studying or using childcare in the City of Kingston (pay slip, enrolment notice or childcare payment advice).
Council will send a letter of offer to parents via email in mid-July of each year. The offer must be accepted by the date stated in the letter, otherwise it will be deemed you are declining the offer and the space will be allocated to another child.
Once we receive the allocation list from Council, we will contact families by email requesting you to confirm your enrolment with us. You will receive regular email updates from us regarding the enrolment process, including payment of the non-refundable Annual Membership fee of $200 ($100 Concession rate). Payment of this is required to confirmed your enrolment at the kindergarten.
If you need any assistance please contact the kinder on 9772-2788 or email the Enrolments Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org